- League Motto:
Just because the physics are hardcore doesn't mean that you have to be.
Welcome to the Grid Motorsports World Cup! This page provides a basic description of the league and its operations. Please use the links in the navigation panel (to the right) for more information.
We're a friendly league focused on ensuring that the competitive aspects of league activities don't undermine anyone's opportunity to enjoy themselves, regardless of skill level or motorsports knowledge.
Anyone interested in joining the league is encouraged to read the full discussion of our philosophy, since it actively shapes the policies of the league and the experiences of its members.
Here are a few of the noteworthy characteristics of the league:
- Official events are hosted weekly, on reliable and published schedules.
- Competitive, multi-event series are conducted, with multiple seasons per year.
- Official scoring systems provide Drivers and Team Championships.
- Unique mod system enables custom vehicle formula development by league members.
- Multiple dedicated servers are available 24/7, hosted on an incredibly fast fiber internet connection.
- An active and friendly community provides a vibrant forum for discussion of all things related to motorsports (and more).
- An open and collaborative garage policy helps everyone learn how to do vehicle setup and benefit from those that are best at it.
- Responsive and experienced development team helps reduce the frequency and stress of any league-related technical problems.
We've been hosting races nearly every week since 2006. We know sim-racing, and we bring a hard-earned, field-proven expertise to each event.
Currently, the league is using rFactor as its primary racing platform. It was chosen because it offers the best mix of robust physics coupled with a flexible and comprehensive set of driver aids. It is also reasonably customizable, supports a broad selection of community-developed tracks and cars, and sports a decent dedicated server. Even so, there are some things about it that we really really don't like, and so we keep our eyes open for the proverbial 'next great thing'. So to participate in the league, you'll need a copy of rFactor. It can be purchased via most retail game stores, or you can simply download it directly and purchase a license key online.
Furthermore, we've developed a mod specially tailored for the league. It's also called Grid Motorsports. While we primarily conduct open-wheel racing, we also enjoy sports cars (commonly referred to as 'tin top') as well as rally style racing, stock car racing, and anything else we can reasonably accommodate within the league environment.
Grid Motorsports was formed in the summer of 2006, in response to the long-running desire of its primary founder (AJ Weber) to participate in a socially casual sim-racing league. AJ proposed the idea to several friends on April 3, 2006. Originally called the Negative Sum Racing League (NSRL), nearly a year of solid racing was conducted before we formalized much of our infrastructure and changed the name to Grid Motorsports.
How to Join
If you're ready to join the league, simply proceed to the new member guide. Note that you will not be able to participate in the forum until you have a website login, which is created when you submit the league application. We used to allow self-registration on the website, but unfortunately had to disable it due to rampant spamming and bot abuse. If you want a website login but aren't necessarily ready to officially become a league member, just email us using the address listed above and request a website login. We'll be happy to create one for you.